Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Harder/Faster swing=Longer drive?

The biggest misconception Amateurs make are a faster swing equals longer drives. To be able to hit the ball far one does need to have a decently high club speed. However, swinging faster makes it very hard to square your hands/club face in time. Usually, swinging fast will cause a "slice" or "push" (third position in image to the left). When people learn that fast swings can cause a slice, they usually try and flip their wrists to hopefully square their club face, which ends up with a "pull" or "hook"(first position in the image to the left). Instead of trying to flip your wrists why don't you just swing a little bit slower with a more square/solid contact, resulting in a straighter and long drive. Try that the next time you're on the driving range.

4 comments:

  1. This is very helpful. Since I am bad at golf, I often get mad and lose my focus and start swinging fast and hard. Of course that never works, so i end up either taking a chunk out of the grass, or just missing the ball completely. When I am not actually playing, but just driving, I always swing slower and make better contact. Even though I am terrible at golf, I still find this very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So here's the thing: I hate golf...because I'm really bad at it. I have no patience and would toss all the clubs after missing my 6th attempt at a putt. I can't imagine why anyone would find this game worthwhile.

    so...your challenge: see if you can write so as to convince me and others in the class to care about golf. What makes it so great? Why should we care? your information (above) seems important, but can you get us to want to know about it? THAT's the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey man I always have that problem. But over the summer I took a golf class and the teacher also said that fast swings are not good. Your blog can definitely help me become better at golf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok so i definitely commented on this already but your blog must've eaten it. So im just going to say that I am bad at golf and hope that this blog will make me like tiger woods. and if it doesn't i will be very very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete